Part-Time Staff Position
This role works closely with the Executive Pastor, other staff, and key volunteers to ensure that the finances of the church are handled with wisdom, transparency, accountability, and faithfulness to create a culture of high visibility and high trust for the leadership, staff, and those who invest financially at Bayview Glen. This person will ensure that we make the best possible financial decisions for the largest kingdom impact. They will handle all day to day financial operations including accounts payable, contributions management, donor tracking and reporting, and management of our chart of accounts. They will use their knowledge of finance and accounting to resource and serve the vision of the church. The role is expected to maintain a culture of excellence as a member of the Operations Team.
This is a part-time role, working 20 hours per week. Working hours may require Sundays and some evenings.
- Responsible for the finances of Bayview Glen and handling it with wisdom, transparency, accountability, and faithfulness.
- Direct preparation of financial statements and forecasts.
- Assist in the design of reporting for analyzing trends and fluctuations.
- Provide direction for budgeting and cash management.
- Fully responsible for managing cash flow and forecasting for visibility and best decision making.
- Oversee and perform financial tasks associated with Human Resources, to include but not limited to items such as payroll, benefits, pay changes, and housing allowances.
- Maintain quality control of all monthly financial reporting, which includes generating data, metrics and financial reports to appropriate ministry staff.
- Responsible for overseeing all accounts payable.
- Keep a close watch on the church’s bank accounts and ensure that funds are in appropriate accounts. This includes but is not limited to reconciling bank statements with PowerChurch records on a weekly basis.
- Review reports of all purchases on a monthly basis and ensure that all purchases are categorized correctly.
- Ensure that proper controls are in place for tasks such as offering collection, counting, donor tracking, check signing and expense reports to name a few.
- Manage and oversee the use of all financial apps, databases, and systems to ensure giver information is accurate and all donations are appropriately accounted for. This includes the export of weekly giving data from Pushpay and prepare/upload pre-authorized gifts into PowerChurch.
- Work with our outside firm on annual financial audit.
- Oversee the production and distribution of charitable tax receipts from PowerChurch.
- Responsible for managing banking and lending relationships.
- Revise and/or formulate financial policies and their implementation.
- Oversee SERVE Teams to assist with completion of the listed responsibilities, as appropriate. This will include the Counting Volunteer SERVE Teams.
- Member of the Finance Team.
- Ensure that the business of the church runs with legality and conformity to established regulations, at the Provincial and Federal level.
- Attend all appropriate staff and departmental meetings.
- Role may require work done at night or on the weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
Capabilities and Characteristics:
- Spiritually and emotionally mature Christian.
- Attention to detail with strong communication and administrative skills.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be creative, highly-organized, and effectively manage multiple priorities and assignments.
- Possess the ability to create and lead effective working teams.
- Self-initiating, seeks ways to improve and make systems more efficient.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle financial tasks.
- Ability to perform quality, detailed work with an eye for excellence.
- Ability to troubleshoot when complications arise and offer creative and strategic solutions.
- Demonstrate servant leadership; high level of discernment.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- Flexible approach to changing priorities and duties.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements:
- Proficient with computers.
- Experience with PowerChurch, PayWorks, Planning Centre Online or similar church management system/software a plus.
- Experience with Basecamp or similar event/project management system/software a plus.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in budget planning, financial forecasting, and cash flow management.
- 3+ years of experience in financial management and administration with a charity or nonprofit in Canada.
- CPA preferred.
- Proficiency in non-profit accounting desired.
- An understanding of Bayview Glen Church and its mission and values.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent years of related experience preferred.
- Part-Time (20 hours per week)
- Executive Pastor
Relates closely with:
- Central Ops Team, Staff